Thursday, February 5, 2009

Doctor, Doctor

What a week! It all started last Wednesday when Bryan came home from school with pink eye. Luckily the doctor called in a prescription without making us come in for an office visit since I knew pink eye had been going around. Saturday morning Brock woke up with goopy eyes-GREAT!


Then Sunday morning as I was half asleep feeding Brock, Luke jumped off the couch onto Peter's back and landed on the other side with his head hitting the edge of the entertainment center. Luke started crying in a way that I knew he was really hurt. Peter brought him over to me to show me his head. I didn't have my contacts in yet, but I could see a big red area on Luke's head. Blood, and lots of it. FANTASTIC! Peter got a towel and ice to try to stop the bleeding, but once we got a good look at it, we knew we would be making a trip to the urgent care. And once I got my contacts in, I noticed it looked like Luke had pink eye as well. Just great. At least we could kill two birds with one stone (gotta milk that $50 copay for all it's worth). Peter took Luke to the urgent care and I made sure he knew to ask for another pink eye prescription. Luke ended up needed 5 staples in his scalp to close it up. Unfortunately I didn't get around to giving him that haircut I intended on giving him Saturday and the doctor didn't shave his hair, so you have to kind of look for them in the picture.

(wet hair)

(dry hair)

As if that wasn't enough fun for one day, later in the evening Luke mentioned something about putting something up his nose. We told him he better not put anything up his nose or it would get stuck. A while later he came frantically running down the hall breathing in and out of his nose really hard. "What did you DO?!" we asked him. "Get it out! Get it out!" was all he would say. We had been eating conversation hearts earlier, and that's what I thought he had stuck up his nose. "How in the world are we going to get this out?" was all I could think. "Do you want to have to got back to the doctor? If we have to take you back to the urgent care, so help me!" we threatened. So I took him into our bathroom and put him up on the counter. I finally got a good look at what was really up there-a little circle shaped lego. It wasn't stuck up as far as I was afraid it was, so I pressed one nostril closed and told him to blow as hard as he could. After two hard blows out came the little yellow lego. Phew.

But of course it couldn't end there. Monday night, Tyler's eyes started looking pink. Good thing we had enough drops to go around.

While we're on the subject of doctors, three weeks ago I aggravated an old shoulder injury. After a trip to the urgent care (yes, the same doctor as Luke!), a follow-up with the same doctor, a failed attempt at an MRI because of too much pain, a visit and follow-up with an orthopaedic specialist, I have been diagnosed with calcific tendinitis in my right shoulder. At one point the pain was so bad, I couldn't take care of the baby. Luckily the worst pain was on a Friday, so Peter and the boys helped a ton with the baby that weekend. I figured the pain would be gone after letting it rest for the long MLK weekend, but I still couldn't move my arm more than a few inches to the side or front. Luckily I have great friends who came to my rescue and took Brock from me for entire days because I couldn't feed him, change his diaper or pick him up without terrible pain. They even cooked dinner for our family, too! Thanks Brea, Tiffany, and Julie! The pain continued longer than I thought it would, so my sister Amy came up to help me out for two more days. Thanks Amy! Luckily I had gotten a cortisone shot, and by the time Amy left, my shoulder was feeling much better. I'm supposed to schedule a few rounds of physical therapy, and Luke has to get his staples removed on Monday. Will the doctor visits ever end?

13 comments:

jeni said...

Oh my goodness!! Please let me know if you need any help with your shoulder hurting and everything. I'm home during the day so definitely let me know.

Mary Anne said...

man i can't believe how it just pours down sometimes and it's like "seriously, what else is going to happen???" and allyson...brock is changing so fast and i need to see him right now. he is SUCH A CUTIE! even with pink eye! love love the lego story...i hadn't heard that one yet! can't wait to see you guys again. i guess i'm going to make my february visit more sierra vista oriented since i'm coming with ashley, but i'll be there from like the 16th-the 23rd or 24th if you want to come visit at mom and dads! then i'll be in phoenix for my march visit. just keeping you updated!

Brandis said...

Holy smokes! I'm glad the lego came out without a second trip to urgent care and that there's enough pink eye juice to go around! That stinks about your shoulder too. I hope you get some good PT and get it feeling better!

Jill Taylor said...

Yikes! I really hope nothing else happens to anyone in the near future. Brock is sooo cute!

Anonymous said...

wow! that is quite the time you guys have had. boys. . boys! brock is getting so big!! such a cutie!

Tiffany said...

Busy little boys!! I'm glad things are starting to calm down a little in the Doctor, Doctor dept!!!

Tiffany said...

Hey, call me if you need me to keep "The Rock" while you take Luke tomorrow!!

Kirsten said...

Yikes...no fun at all! Landon ran into the corner of the wall the other day and got a nice split in the forehead. It didn't look bad enough for stitches so I just cut tiny strips of medical tape and made my own steri-strips. Hopefully it doesn't scar too bad :)

And I am so jealous of MA's AZ trips! I was hoping maybe there would be a Delta weekend deal the week that they are doing G&G Kerby's cleanup day.

Q Crew said...

Oh.my.gosh! I didn't know about the lego up Luke's nose (that's hilarious, but only because I wasn't the mom in the story! It reminds me of a time in CA when I believe David stuck a purple chewable Tylenol up his nose...hahaha) and Tyler got pink eye too? I knew about the rest of it. I'm so glad your shoulder is feeling better so you could deal with all this stuff better, but my goodness! I hope the doctor visits end soon!! Good luck!

the tiffs said...

allyson, you jinxsed us. i read your blog on saturday and paige woke up sunday with her eye swollen. i got up monday with pink eye. it was kinda funny. millie

Allyson said...

Sorry Millie! I didn't know it could spread through the internet! :) I hope it goes away soon!

Kirsten said...

Amy, I believe that was MA that put the purple tylenol up her nose! :)

Heather and Tim said...

Wow! We've been catching up on Luke's injuries-that is quite the story! Hope the hematoma finally healed!--Spencer and Levi also belong to the "staples in the head" club! I got stitches in my finger a couple weeks a go--does that count?